From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Tilbrook Louise (RQ8) Mid Essex Hospital
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:37 PM
Subject: Urine proteins and immunofixation

We are currently looking at rationalising our urine protein electrophoresis and immunofixation workload. In particular I'm concerned about the high number of fixes we do on specimens with very low amounts of urine protein and minimal staining on electrophoresis.
I haven't been able to find any guidelines or recent audits which address this issue - specifically how you adopt a pragmatic approach to detect as many BJPs as possible without investigating everything under the sun. I have found guidelines which suggest that BJP >0.03 ng/ml is regarded as clinically significant, others suggest >0.06.
If anyone has undergone this process recently I would be most grateful if they would be willing to share their experiences.

Kind regards
Louise Tilbrook

Louise Tilbrook
Principal Clinical Scientist
Mid Essex Hospitals NHS Trust
Chelmsford CM1 7ET

Phone 01245 514013
Mobile 07919 016847

Alternative email: [log in to unmask]

Foundation Trust application - have your say!

Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust is applying to become a Foundation Trust. We are therefore approaching local people, patients and staff to seek their views about our proposed governance arrangements and to ensure that we provide services that respond to the needs of the local community.

As part of this process, we want you to become a member of Mid Essex Hospital Services NHS Trust. As a member you have a wonderful opportunity to get involved and shape the future of your hospital for the next 20 years.

You can apply for membership online at: http://www.meht.nhs.uk/foundation-trust/apply-online/. Alternatively, you can request a membership application form by e-mailing [log in to unmask], by calling: 01245 514508 (during office hours) or by writing to Foundation Trust Office, Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, CM1 7ET.

Information in this message may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please accept our apologies; please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform us that this message has gone astray before deleting it.

Content of emails received by this Trust will be subject to disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless the information is legally exempt from disclosure, confidentiality of this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed. Thank you for your co-operation.

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/