POCT by unqualified staff

Dear all,

I wonder if anywhere has gone down the route of, or even seriously considered allowing non registered healthcare professionals e.g. portering staff, to perform Point of Care Testing e.g. the analysis of samples for blood gases. (I am assuming that nowhere would countenance them obtaining the sample or interpreting & acting on results!?)

Just trying to get a feel for any changes in common practice I may be missing.

Regards

Helen Turner

Deputy Healthcare Scientist Service Manager

& Trust Point Of Care Testing  Coordinator

Department of Chemical Pathology

Gloucester Royal Hospital

Gloucester Hospitals NHSF Trust

Tel 08454 225237

The information in this email and in any attachment(s) is commercial in confidence.

If you are not the named addressee(s) or if you receive this email in error then any distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited.

Please return it to the sender and delete all copies. Thank you.

Whilst e-mail and attachments are virus checked Gloucestershire Healthcare Community does not accept any liability in respect of any virus which is not detected.

Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of their respective organisation.

Gloucestershire Primary Care Trust
http://www.glospct.nhs.uk
2gether NHS Foundation Trust http://www.partnershiptrust.org.uk
Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust http://www.gloshospitals.org.uk

------ACB discussion List Information-------- This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry. Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content. ACB Web Site http://www.acb.org.uk List Archives http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/ACB-CLIN-CHEM-GEN.html List Instructions (How to leave etc.) http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/