Hi There,

Does anyone have any experience using 'Openmind' mind mapping software to do a similar process? It also exports as HTML, and I am hoping to use it to create courses to integrate into our 'learnwise' based VLE, launching (hopefully!!) September 2008.

Tom

On Mon, 23 Jun, Dave Foord wrote:
> One of the problems with VLEs is they tend to have a linear structure
> (resources are listed linearly) and although we can use folder structures to
> give some structure, with most VLEs as you navigate into the folder
> structure you lose site of the 'bigger picture' of where the resources are
> in relation to everything else.
>
> I have recently been running training at a few colleges with the Mind
> Mapping software 'Inspirations', and I have discovered that it is possible
> to use Inspirations to link learning resources together in a meaningful
> organised structured visual map, you can then package the whole thing up as
> HTML (and Inspirations will then take copies of all the resources in this
> process) and then upload the whole thing to a VLE.
>
> The advantages are:-
>
> 1) If you have a lot of resources to upload, this is actually a much quicker
> way of doing this
> 2) The learners have the resources arranged in a more meaningful way
> 3) As the whole thing is packaged in HTML, you can access the materials on
> any computer without needing the Inspirations software
> 4) If in the future your organisation ever changes VLE, rather than
> transferring 100s of individual resources, you would only have to transfer a
> much smaller number of packages
> 5) The packages could work offline, so if networks fail, you have some kind
> of a back up plan
>
> I have so far tested this with Moodle and Blackboard, and instructions for
> each are on my blog, links are below. I imagine that the process will work
> with other VLEs and with other Mind Mapping software, but I haven't had a
> chance to test them yet.
>
> Moodle
> http://davefoord.wordpress.com/2008/06/23/integrating-inspirations-outputs-i
> nto-moodle-to-manage-files/
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/4jhf8d
>
> Blackboard
> http://davefoord.wordpress.com/2008/05/20/uploading-an-inspirations-output-t
> o-blackboard/
> Or
> http://tinyurl.com/5ld5r5
>

> Dave Foord
> A6 Training and Consultancy Ltd
> Mobile: 07922115678
> Tel/Fax: 01509 556950
> web: www.A6training.co.uk
> Skype:dave.foord
>
> A6 Training and Consultancy LTD is a registered Company 6025999 (registered
> in England and Wales).
> Registered Office: 8 Cartland Drive, Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 5YD

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.

An email reply to this address will be subject to monitoring for safety and security purposes.

If you have any cause for concern over the content of this email please forward it to [log in to unmask]

This email was sent from the John of Gaunt School, Wingfield Road, Trowbridge, BA14 9EH.