I find it fascinating that this thesis, like many writings on therapeutic communities, does not even mention its failure to examine women (other than the nurses), or their place (or lack thereof) in the therapeutic process. Offering the argument that for the most part the communities Jones developed drew their clientele from the military doesn't get it. TCs evolved since then, and women in the "co-ed" community have always been, in my experience, secondary to the men, and often viewed as foils for the men's social growth.

I have been looking around for literature that deals with the social interactions between men and women within therapeutic living environments, especially in 12-Step and TC oriented programs. If anyone has any references, I would love to get them. I haqve been asked to provide guidance to a program here in Costa Rica, and I had to come face to face with my own failure to address the topic well, and the discovery that there is a woeful lack of writings on it.

John F. French, MA
NJ Dept of Health, Retired
San Pablo, Heredia, Costa Rica