   Hello,
I am seeking feedback on how I chose to set up contrasts for a simple
analysis. My project is a structural comparison of grey matter between
2 groups (I am not analyzing functional data; just T1-weighted
images).

I set up a comparison of regional GM volume between groups.  My
hypothesis is that experimental group (Group #2) grey matter <
control (Group #1).   I set up a T-test with an additional covariate
being the specific grey matter volumes.

If I didn't have that additional covariate, I would simply use a
contrast of [-1 1].    But now that I have this additional covariate,
should my contrast be different? I.e. does the addition of covariates
impact my contrast specification?

Likewise, in another test, I will have 2 additional covariates: the
grey matter volume and a score on a psychometric test.  If my
hypothesis is that higher scores are correlated with lower GM volume,
is it still appropriate to use the [-1 1] contrast?

   Assistance is very much appreciated.
Thank you,
Lori Bruce Boston University School of Medicine