Stephen is absolutely right that you want to bandpass the data (Fox et al suggest .008 to .09, I think). My comment was more directed at the issue of using an AR(1) correlation structure to further filter the data.

The Fischer Z transform is not a Z-statistic, but rather the normalized form of the correlation coefficent (r). As such, it is independent of scaling and passing it to the second level is the same as passing the normalized betas. Thus, its still a random-effects analysis or mixed-effects depending on the terminology. It is not a fixed effects though.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:21 AM, Stephen J. Fromm <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:59:54 -0500, MCLAREN, Donald
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>(1) If you are doing resting connectivity, I am not aware of any papers
that
>actually remove the "autocorrelation" or prewhiten the data. Although, the
>papers by Mike Fox all remove the confounds of the ventricles and white
>matter that might contain some information about the autocorrelation
issue.
>It is probably worth looking into the effects of adding an AR1 filter to
the
>data.

The papers I've read about connectivity analysis (which mostly aren't
resting state papers), including one by Fox, all do temporal filtering
(usually bandpass) on the data.  Of course, maybe the original poster has
scientific reasons for not wanting to filter out drift.

>(2) In the case of resting connectivity, you probably don't need to
>normalize the data. The reason for this is simply that you are inputting
the
>fisher Z-transform (derived from the r). The intensity difference between
>subject has no effect since the correlations are independent of any
>multiplicative scaling that would be applied in intensity normalization.

Yes, but in that case you might be looking at a fixed-effects measure of
connectivity, not a random effects measure.  (I myself haven't worked out
the details on that, and it depends on the precise definition of
connectivity you use.  But taking Z stats to the second level would lead
to a fixed effects measure, it seems to me.)  Not that there's necessarily
anything wrong with that, but it should be understood as such.