Since Hannibal so kindly cites me, I'll just add that Ronsard, of
course, didn't finish his epic and blamed (with some justice) his
getting off on the wrong metrical foot (sorry, didn't mean the pun)
by following, as I recall, Charles 9's request to use decasyllables
instead of the alexandrines the form in French really needs and also
(with less justice) the failure of his patrons go give him enough
dough. He begins his career with little odes and then sonnets, with
very little pastoral. One 16th c. French poem, and at the moment I'm
blanking on where I saw it--Ronsard, I think--says pretty much
explicitly that the youthful love sonnet is a way to signal a higher
career to come. One more thought: in addition to Virgil and David as
two rotae, so to speak (one guy I read praised Beza for beginning all
secular and frivolous and then closing his career "with draughts from
Zion's font"), I think that for writers like Ronsard and possibly
Spenser there's an additional spoke to the generic wheel in the form
of the hymn, with precedent in Homer (or "Homer"). In any case,
Hannibal is quite right to note that psalms can crown, not start, a
career. I have a lovely if somewhat startling 15th c. painted page
showing David looking longingly at Bathshebe and he's easily 60 (and
overweight)--he's going to write Psalm 51 in a few months and he's no
spring rooster. For David, if I may take his authorship more
seriously than would modern scholars, psalms were for all of life,
although strictly it's not clear that when he cured Saul it was
psalms he was using . Anne.