Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can provide some advice on the best way to handle the implementation of email spam filters in government departments, with respect to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act.

How do you manage the risk of a legitimate request for information being blocked and deleted at the server, and never delivered to the intended recipient for action?

Would it be sufficient to publish (in the email policy) broad details about the filter, and adding some kind of explanatory note on any webpage where the FOI contact address apprears? Requests can of course be sent to any government officer (not just via the dedicated FOI address) and our IT folk are not keen to publish much detail about filter settings, as they feel this will enable spammers to circumvent the filter.

I've done a bit of random Googling but can't find many published cases - or consistent findings - regarding appeals where requests had been filtered out.

Grateful for any thoughts, suggestions or precedents you may have.

Best wishes

Sonya

http://changingthepresent.org/

Ctp_give_banner_leaderboard

"As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world - that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves... Be the change that you want to see in the world." --Mohandas K. Gandhi