Isn't it predictable that a filter system will sometimes catch
legitimate requests? What about the applicant who has been sworn at
(eg by a neighbour or even an official) and reports this in an email
-  "X told me to "F*** off"  - and then goes on to make an FOI or DP
request about the matter?

If an authority's email filters are likely to reject such a request, I
don't think it adequate just to leave it to the requester to
eventually chase it up. Apart from anything else, the applicant will
probably do so by attaching the original request to to another email.
Obviously, it will be rejected again.

One approach would be to experiment with the filters, to see if they
can be overridden for emails which refer to FOIA, EIR or DPA etc.  If
spammers eventually spot and exploit this, it might have to be
dropped, but it seems worth trying.

Another is to say on your FOI web page, that all FOI requests will be
acknowledged within X days, and give a phone number to ring where no
acknowledgement has been received within the period - so the applicant
has an alternative to just emailing again.

Maurice Frankel
Campaign for Freedom of Information