A few months ago I read Cymbeline entire for the first time: it was
one of the Shakespeare plays I'd never got round to: it knew bits of
it, of course, but not the whole. In the great spoken song I found the
editor referred to 'chimney-sweeps' meaning daffodils and
'thunder-stone' meaning thunder-ball as Warwickshire dialect . This
was a great surprise to me as I thought it was normative speech. I was
born in an Arden parish myself and though I grew up in a grotty part
of Brummagem and my dad spoke modified Leicester (he was born in that
place) my mum was very very North Warwicks and she used those terms as
natural.
Nowadays I live among the strata in Leicester: it really is like
sitting in a quarry. That's where I get pissed off with the avants:
they don't seem to realise where they're coming from, I like them
otherwise. It's like the Language Poets declaring war on the Sentence:
yes, I understand the analogy, life is the death-sentence, but
effectively they declare war on themselves, which doesn't seem too
bright an idea. I've been into becoming a fragmented I myself, it
ain't fun!

Best

Dave

--