I watched JG Ballard being interviewed and when he started, he was
caught in society stuck in the past, as we still are: " cultural
constipation" as Cornwell calls it. As I walk around the UK it feels
like a heritage museum run by the Daily Mail, caught in aspic trying
to fight the memories of the past. In a sense, a lot of the 60s is
about clearing a space so that renewal may take place.

The 'huitards may take the blame but I think the current cultural
state - as much as it fits into your fantasy - has little to do with
the 60s. Computers started in the 40s. The west started crumbling way
before that. The sixties ended with OPEC upping oil-prices to
reasonable levels. All the rest is a desperate effort to shore-up
crumbling empires, and that's most of the 80s, 90s and so on and so
forth. Even today, as we square up into super-blocs, the old west is
desperately trying to keep it's power. I read an analysis a long time
ago that Callaghan, if he had remained in power, would have enacted
roughly the same policies as Thatcher.

We haven't been rich for a long time, and when the rich lose money,
they fire the servants then sell the furniture.

Roger

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 12:36 PM, David Bircumshaw
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Me, Andrew, I'm having a series of interesting conversations with
> ghosts about relative values. There's a considerable family of those.
> And listening to what jokes people tell, learning recognise the
> territorial marks gangs leave on lamposts, what a language of trees,
> looking at graffiti, listening to how males identify selfhood in rap,
> hearing the tap-tap signs from the bottom of edifices like churches
> and so forth and so forth. I know there were a lot of positives paths
> etc from the Sixties, but quick fix transcendence buys its supplies
> off a dark dealer. The Sixties wanted to throw away the burden of the
> past, well if you dump memory you piss on the future.
> Of course there was an element of play on my part, but one has to
> continually plot the present. The Sixties went for Liberation Now, an
> instant abandonment of restrictions, and in doing so they liberated
> the Beast itself. They liberated Mammon from restraint. The point of
> culture is to cultivate this garden that feeds us all, not turn it
> into a dope-factory. The hippies all used to go to Afghanistan didn't
> they? I wonder what's going on there now.
>
> Best
>
> Dave
>
> 2008/6/10 andrew burke <[log in to unmask]>:
>> Let's see what you are doing with the present, David. I'm of the Sixties
>> myself and hope your tone is playful in part: otherwise, I can only say you
>> have limited knowledge of the many positive paths started in the sixties. I
>> believe 'money money' already had too much power before the Sixties and it
>> swamped many of the good seeds sown. Not all the dreams came true, granted,
>> but the Sixties hardly started capitalism or the imperial aggression of
>> Western nations; it lost the battle against them but some stratas of society
>> since know that there are alternatives to these platforms. I'm no scholar of
>> the period, but I would think that the a/g in art and music certainly
>> changed things, and the influence of the Beats/San Francisco
>> Renaissance/Black Mt was powerful.
>>
>> Time for dinner now (and it's not macrobiotic), so I shall close.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

>> 2008/6/10 David Bircumshaw <[log in to unmask]>:
>>
>>> Yeah, the Sixties, its avant-garde are the Elders of today. And did
>>> they fuck-it up for those coming after, man. effectively the
>>> liberation of the Sixties opened the door for the Far Right. The drug
>>> trade, the art market, the arms trade, I don't want to think about the
>>> rest right now. They wanted the ultimate short-cut to transcendent
>>> salvation, so we have Facebook, gang-culture, money money. Stephen
>>> Hawking looking for the Ultimate in his machine blah blah.
>>> The tossers, they had a real chance and they blew it for their own
>>> gratification. We're in the future they threw away now.

My Stuff: http://www.badstep.net/
"She went out with her paint box, paints the chapel blue
She went out with her matches, torched the car-wash too"
The Go-Betweens