From: Poetryetc: poetry and poetics [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: 26 June 2008 23:29
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The Passing of Braincap

Just a note to friends and well-wishers that Braincap, my eight year old
Kyushu goldfish and the partner of my midnight ramblings has shaken off
this mortal coil and has ascended to wherever it is the metaphysical
portion of good fishes go.  He (I truly believe it was a he, though
sometimes I wondered), showed me that goldfish could truly be peaceful,
thoughtful, planetary beings.  In fact, as Braincap assumed his adult
proportions (about 10 inches in length, four in girth), he reminded me
of a dugong, with that same kind of "easy does it" manner; in addition
he and his friends Biggie and Abc-sama all reminded me of a herd of
little cows grazy on the stones of their near-industrial sized aquarium.

Braincap was born in Fukuoka prefecture, and came as a group of six tiny
fish that my son won at a temple matsuri (festival) in July of that
long-ago time, just north of the year 2000.  We decided to purchase a
small plastic aquarium and introduced a bubble stone to keep the crew
happy.  Little did we know that these little fish would thrive and come
with us by plane to our new home near Tokyo, and that they would stick
with us to calm us and cheer us up through good times and through bad.

Braincap was the most gifted of the crew.  He recognized his name,
watched CNN with me and offered passable commentary--at times blazingly
intelligent commentary--on global warming and other subjects of vital
concern.  He did a great imitation of George W. Bush (fool me
once...)and predicted that Weapons of Mass Destruction would never be
found.  When Hillary began her run he (or was it she?) swam hot and
cold.  Braincap was definitely for a woman running for office, but maybe
just not that woman.  I'm happy to add that Braincap was an Obama
supporter, a tradition that he began and now I and the whole Ahadada
group maintain.

Braincap is survived by his spawn-mates Biggie (pushing 11 inches, 4
inches girth) and Abc-sama, and the Glass family of Shin-Urayasu.
Tributes in experimental, conceptual, and visual poetries would be
greatly appreciated.  Post them to this list, or back-channel and we'll
put the best up on the ahadada books website.

Thanks,

Jesse