Hi Daniel,

I also wish I could be more constructive, but I keep wanting to know how
we'd define insight or differentiation.

To take it too far, schizophrenics can have insights. Just as in a mildly
depressed (or anxious -- depending on the day) state of mind, I construct a
version of the world that might or might not be helpful.

And if I seek differentiation from my neighbors by planting exotic species
in my Pittsburgh Pa backyard, I've probably done something that is not
helpful for me or them.

So, I like both those terms, and I like brevity, and hats off for throwing
this into the ring, because I still hear colleagues tell me about their
recent encounters with the "make it pretty" definition. I thought we'd
gotten past that.

Susan

On 6/12/08 7:45 AM, "Harland, Robert" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Daniel
>
> My immediate concern with your suggestion is that many professions, fields
> and disciplines might claim this. 'Marketing' comes to mind.
>
> I don't have an alternative suggestion at present, but should we not seek to
> identify something that relates specifically to 'design' and is located
> first and foremost within the domain.
>
> Perhaps we should aim for something distinctive rather than general.
>
> Robert Harland
>

> On 12/6/08 12:36, "Daniel Chambers" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm sure we have all wrestled with definitions at some point or another.  I
>> have been pondering if there is a simple, all-encompassing definition of
>> 'Design' that works in all contexts.  I would like to offer the following
>> for your critical analysis, discussion and thoughts:
>>
>> 'Seeking differentiation through insight'
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Daniel

Susan M. Hagan Ph.D., MDes
Carnegie Mellon University