Hello Annie

I have developed a particular interest in attendance management due to having got my fingers burned when I was a newly qualified OHN and worked with HR practitioners who seemed to want me to solve all their attendance management problems – they seemed to think I had a magic wand and a crystal  ball. I quickly came to the conclusion that the HR manager earned a lot more than I did and so she should take responsibility for her decisions.  I would not get drawn into things which she should take responsibility for. I quickly came to the conclusion that HR are responsible for deciding whether the person is suitable for employment to a particular position.  The role of the OH service is to comment on fitness for employment to that post. We are well placed to make recommendations for suitable and sufficient modifications for people who require them (eg those with disabilities or other special needs).

Commenting on previous attendance “behaviour” could put the OHS in a difficult position. How I have dealt with this is not to get involved. I have advised management that past attendance patterns are a likely indication of future patterns. I have always advised management that they are responsible for checking on previous  reliability as part of their reference seeking procedures.  The OH service should only comment on fitness to perform the job tasks  required of the prospective employee and making recommendations re modifications where required. I would not recommend getting involved in commenting on possible future sickness absence patterns, leave that to  management to decide on based on the references they receive.

 It has been my experience that many people with quite significant health problems do not necessarily take more time  from work than those who do not have such problems. Conversely, others who do not declare serious health problems may be unreliable and frequent non-attenders. Reasons for non-attendance may be unrelated to health status. They are often related to job satisfaction, workplace relationships and motivation to attend.

Anne Harriss
Course Director
London South Bank University