Hi me too, there is a reciprocal agreement, which is often forgotten. We tend to find a consultant of neighboring trust (if the GP is unwilling to refer to another trust) and then talk to them directly. Because our trust is quite big sometimes staff are happy to be seen in another area but using a pseudo name so they cannot be looked up on the EPJS, this is used particularly with outpts and community. We also have a problem with “corridor consultations” staff treating staff off the record then turning over to OH with the going gets tough!

Regards

Leona

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of sue harrison-stone
Sent: 11 June 2008 14:09
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Employees becoming patients

Helen
I work for a mental health trust.

I have beeen trying to find my way through this problem and it has become quite difficult.  I did check with some of my surrounding mental health trusts too and they also have problems.
Some of it is because everything has to be paid for in this day and age and folk cant seem to decide on cost or on releasing the money.
There is also the problem of how long do they go on to receive treatment if it is a long term problem.  Do they just have one course of treatment?  Do GPs and A&E also refer cause they all wont come via OH.  If they go via A&E and GPs how is that monitored and do we, the Trust, have a right to know?
How long after a member of staff leaves the Trust do we offer this service?  Do we get reports on progress, do we have a right to expect that?  Do we include families of staff?  If so how long does that service be available to them?
If it is also offered to families or former staff do we set up OH notes for them?
A protocol was done in draft but then got stuck because of all these questions.  We are having a meeting early July to see what progress has been made if any.
Today I saw a client whose partenr was treated in his ward.  he now feels that everytime he is off sick (often because of the partner) the rest of the staff look upon him differently than they would if they  had not treated his partner.

I would be interestd if anyone has sorted out even some of thease problems.

Regards
Sue