Hi Sandy
  it may be the glove like the ansell hyflex. http://www.ansellpro.com/hyflex/.
  they are a cloth (fine knitted) glove which has been "dipped" in a rubberised coating...Im not sure if it is rubber or a synthetic, the idea is that they give dexterity and grip at the same time. they are available in different knit  thicknesses and "rubberisation" (if that is the term!!!)
  my hubby is a tree surgeon and the team he works with use this type of glove when not using vibrating tools. they are used when chain saw/anti vibration gloves are not required (lowering branches on ropes, clearing branches, feeding the chipper, raking/sweeping etc) .they give good grip so they can use ropes yet keep the water and tree slime/dirt/rain off their hands. they also keep their hands warm in the colder weather. neither he nor the chaps he works with have had any problems, if anything their skin is in better condition as they are not as exposed to the elements and muck...
  Jacqui

  sandy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Info sort please from probably those OH practitioners in construction
and possibly Chris Packham.

During Sunday lunch the prodigal son was observed to have quite
significant dry, scaly and irritated skin to his hands. "OH hat" on
mother demanded why this might be? He works for a large construction
company as a civil engineer. "Hands on" and exposure to cement etc
minimal.

He advised me that recent policy is that it now that besides wearing
safety shoes and safety glasses on site it is a requirement for all
individuals to wear gloves "thin grey plastic like gloves with a felt
type bit" (area on the upper surface of the hand unaffected). I was
unable to determine what gloves he was using although I did recite the
duty of the employer to provide suitable protective equipment etc. etc.

I wonder whether this is a uniform health and safety recommendation and
has a problem been observed recently amongst this sector.
I have advised him to seek out his OH service and report the situation
although I am not convinced that he will. He has made a GP appointment
which indicates the level of discomfort as it is 12 years he reckons
since he last saw a GP.
Any information would be welcome re problems and the use of- and type of
gloves amongst the Construction sector.
Sandy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: