I work in the NHS for a Mental Health Trust. I have now been in post for 12 months developing a new in house service.

Following a recent DoH communication re doctor spreading measles-it has been questioned whether checking of staff for measles should be undertaken. I am aware that the "Green Book " has recommendations.

I wondered if colleagues would share how they have managed the measles, mumps, rubella, varicella situation in such an environment?

-Do you routinely check all new starters? If so for all 4 diseases or just some?

-Do you take short cuts e.g. assume mothers have been assessed during pregnancy for rubella?

-The thought seems to be going towards giving MMRx2 to all permanent staff on certain in-patient areas as the vaccine is free and serology costs. Proof of previous immunisation will naturally preclude this.
How do you manage the fact that staff do bank shifts? in the selected areas? Also locum medical staff, OTs, psychologists etc?

-Do you check community staff?

-Do you have much success in obtaining written proof of MMR X2 vaccination history? I seem to struggle.

Looking forward to your replies
Sandy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remove this footer before replying.

OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH JOBS http://OHJobs.drmaze.net