Dear Zach,

Many thanks for this, I think it's a really useful outline of different
kinds of projects - I'll respond in more detail next week, but one
thing I wanted to ask you about as a short question is the Interactivos
project which I think will be a really interesting study in different
collaboration styles as it's in Spain and the USA.

I was interested that on the Eyebeam site it says that the New York bit
of the series "was initiated by current R&D OpenLab fellow Zach
Lieberman, and will be curated and produced by Eyebeam staff, fellows
and residents." So it's always interesting I think that an initiator
quite often ends up somehow 'responsible' throughout a process, even if
a lot of other people are involved. I think every project needs some
kind of initiator role, but could you say a but more about your role in
this case?

cheers

beryl

On 3 Jun 2008, at 15:39, Zachary Lieberman wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I first wanted to say hello -- I've been lurking a bit on the list, and
> happy to have an opportunity to jump in.   I'm currently involved in
> several
> collaboration projects and I can see right away it will be useful to
> write
> about them and also, to engage in a dialog with folks here.
>
> I thought I would compile a quick list of things I've been working on,
> as
> relate to collaboration and then try to answer the questions posed by
> sarah
> and refer to them if I can..   I don't mean this to sound like a CV or
> anything, just wanted to try to identify things in these projects that
> are
> interesting and see if I can relate them:

> a) interactivos workshop -- organized by medialab prado (formerly
> medialab
> madrid) this workshop, as sarah mentioned, is centered around creating
> new
> works from young artists and more specifically, about trying to foster
> collaboration.  there is a short video from last years event here
> (it's half
> english / spanish).  The theme of that interactivos was magic and
> technology:
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=CPZb9EJkK9M
>
> I've been teaching the last two years and this year teaching and
> organizing
> several of the workshops (NY, mexico and bogota)
>
> b) personal artwork, including collaborations with Golan Levin (tmema)
> and
> Theo Watson - such as :
>
> tmema.org/messa
> tmema.org/mis
> openframeworks.cc/liners
>
> c) working with experts, such as choregraphers or magicians:
>
> http://thesystemis.com/rotosketch
> http://thesystemis.com/opensourcery
>
> d) doing a fellowship in the Eyebeam openlab --
>
> good description here:
> http://lunchbuffet.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!880F7BACD6654F3C!388.entry
>
> e) working with theo watson on an open source toolkit in c++ for making
> creative works called openframeworks --
> info & movie is here:
> openframeworks.cc

>> * Can collaboration exist without openness?
>

> I think it can, but I've found that openness is often times helpful,
> since
> it means the work is better understood by all parties.  For example,
> in (c)
> above, I made a performance with a magician, and he was very reluctant
> open up his tricks -- he wouldn't explain to me how things worked.
> Obviously, he had to tell me some things, but in general, there was a
> code
> of secrecy about how his magic worked.  Sometimes, actually, I would
> figure
> out tricks on my own, and the moment I told him he'd be totally
> relieved,
> [...]

Beryl Graham, Professor of New Media Art
School of Arts, Design, Media and Culture, University of Sunderland
Ashburne House,
Ryhope Road
Sunderland
SR2 7EE
Tel: +44 191 515 2896    [log in to unmask]

CRUMB web resource for new media art curators
http://www.crumbweb.org