Hello,

I'm intrigued by the "expression of the idea."  I, myself, am also not a
copyright lawyer, but can say based on my ongoing research about
intellectual property that law practice is ultimately about the
interpretation of laws that have been set to at times protect individuals,
and at times, corporations.  Lawrence Lessig would say that the latter is
the privileged case, as most people in this list may know if they've read
his arguments on intellectual property rights.

But I ask this: How can an idea exist if it is not expressed?  Its value is
defined when the idea attains recognition in a culture as valuable, and as
soon as it becomes valuable it becomes a commodity--especially today.
Regarding Albers: both, the exact colors and words that Albers used can be
copyrightable, fine.  But at such moment you talk about hue as an idea.  Hue
is not an idea, but a concept.  What is the difference?  The difference is
in that something that we've decided to call hue exists whether we are aware
of it or not. Gravity is another example.  Whether or not we name these
elements that define our lives they will be there affecting us, named or
unnamed.  Theories of gravity and color theories have been developed, and
these are commodities because they are expressed ideas developed to
understand why it is that we are limited and defined by certain natural
developments.  For more on this, we could actually go back to Aristotle and
study how terms are defined.

The very best,

Eduardo Navas