> I don't know if it's in Bynum's book, but there was a very important
> cult of the Precious blood in Bruges (motets were written for it by
> Jacob Obrecht and Adrian Willaert in the fifteenth and sixteenth
> centuries); a yearly procession was (perhaps still is) held on the
> third of May, in honour of the relic kept at Bruges since 1150 in the
> chapel of St Basil, now with a small museum devoted to it.

Dear Bonnie,
I believe you can change that "was" to "is".  Leastwise, when my wife and I visited the Chapel
of the Holy Blood in Bruges last summer, there was the most elaborate arrangements I've
ever seen for the ostension of the relic.  One mounted stairs onto a platform, with a table, on
which was the reliquary, in the form of a crystal cylinder (one can see the red stuff in it!!).
The reliquary itself was protected by a curving piece of plexiglass that was screwed onto the
table, and behind the table sat a "relic custodian", a solemnly conscientious woman whose
job it was to make sure nobody got out of line, and occasionally to wipe off the plexiglass
after it had been touched and/or kissed.  One then descended steps off of the platform.  It
was a fascinating experience.  Positively medieval!!
Cheers,
Jim Bugslag
PS I have photos if anyone would care to post them; that's a bit out of my digital range.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]