Conference moves to David Wilson Library on University of Leicester
Campus

UK Museums on the Web in Leicester on June 19 is proving to be a big hit
this year. UKMW 08 is titled 'Integrate, Aggregate, Federate' and the
themes explored in sessions promise to be a few steps beyond the world
of web 2.0 that has been occupying the culture web sector for the last
few years.

At least 100 attendees have already signed up for the one-day conference
(sponsored again by Culture24) at the University of Leicester, but
there's still plenty of room. If you're planning to attend, there's
still plenty of time to register via the link on the MCG website - it's
quick to do and the cost is minimal. MCG non-members are very welcome.

Because of the surge in sign-ups, a larger venue on the campus, the
David Wilson Library, has been pressed into service to accommodate
delegates. A big bonus of this move is that for the first time, UKMW
attendees will be able to have free wi-fi access during the conference.
The Wilson Library is one of the newest buildings on the campus, so it's
a real boost for UKMW and the Museums Computer Group.

As ever at the conference there's an interesting line up of speakers,
including Tom Loosemore of Ofcom, George Oates from Flickr and Paul
Marty, a regular at the popular MCN conferences in the US.

Our intention, every year, is to bring in people from outside our
sector, outside our geographical area, and even outside our comfort
zone, professionally speaking. But having said that, we're - of course -
going to be bringing into the conference space some of the fascinating
threads that MCG members regularly explore on the newslist.

Fertile recent list strands about the European Digital Library and the
future shape of online collections will be explored; as will the
fascinating recent Ofcom report that commented upon the state of the
public service digital broadcasting space.

As ever, the conference will be followed up online on the MCG website.
If you're at the conference and blogging the event, or taking pictures,
there's a handy tag you can attach to your posts and via Flickr - just
make sure (wherever you are writing) that you add 'UKMW08' as a tag.

Jon Pratty

Co-convenor, with Ross Parry

UKMW 08

01273 623336 (direct)
01273 623266 (main office number)
07739 287392 (mobile)

Culture24 is an independent charity publishing a family of websites
including:
www.24hourmuseum.org.uk <http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/>
www.show.me.uk <http://www.show.me.uk/>
www.icons.org.uk <http://www.icons.org.uk/>