The official Government page on CRB has the following statement.

Phil Hope, Minister for the Third Sector, said:

"The Government has a duty to protect vulnerable people and CRB checks play
an important part in this. However, it is a real waste if volunteers are
being put off doing their hugely valuable work because checks are being
carried out unnecessarily. Risk has to be managed properly and
proportionately and I hope that this guidance will help organisations by
giving them a clear step by step process to follow.
"The Government has made sure that CRB checks are free for volunteers,
saving volunteer involving organisations £26.6 million in 2007/08. I want to
encourage more people to volunteer and will continue to tackle the barriers
that prevent them."

The guidance responds to recommendations put to the Government by Baroness
Neuberger, the Government's Independent Volunteering Champion.

Baroness Neuberger said:

"I welcome this guidance and the Government's overall positive response to
the recommendations of the Commission on the Future of Volunteering. I
believe that the guidance will address some of the issues raised in our
consultation and I hope that it will promote a proportionate approach to CRB
checks. The guidance is particularly important in public service
organisations and I hope that the Government will push the use of the
guidance in health and education strongly."

To access the guidance use the following link

cabinet office/third
sector/Guidance<http://www.crb.gov.uk/pdf/OTS_CRB%20Volunteer%20Guidance.pdf>

In the guide is the following in section 2:
*Students undertaking volunteering as part of
a course*
Students on some courses are required to undertake
a work placement to obtain a qualification. Such
activities are often described as 'volunteering', a
better description would be work experience or a
work placement, particularly as the student is doing
the activity solely for their own benefit. Where an
individual is undertaking a placement of this type as a
requirement for a course, they would not eligible for a
free CRB check. This does not include volunteering to
obtain an award, such as a Duke of Edinburgh Award.

So I think this double negative means DofE students don't pay but work
experience do , but by inference both must get one. Read it and make your
judgement
Ian stringer