I agree, Carol.

What's more, the structure of the consultation document makes it horribly
apparent that whoever put it together hasn't much experience of informal
learners, or else only wants input from those informal learners willing and
able to set aside time for impromptu workshops or focus group meetings to go
through the "points to discuss." "About you and your participants/learners"
is a particularly illuminating; if they seriously wanted "to make sure that
informal learners' voices are heard" then this would be "About you."

Not that many of us in the public library sector have much experience of the
informal learning environment; we've only been doing it for a century and a
half. <sigh>

Usual disclaimer: mine own opinion, for what it's worth.

Steven

Steven Heywood
Systems Manager
Rochdale Library Service
Wheatsheaf Library
Baillie Street
Rochdale OL16 1JZ
Tel: (01706) 924967
http://www.rochdale.gov.uk
http://libraries.rochdale.gov.uk

	I was appalled to see in this consultation document from DIUS that
	libraries are not mentioned as a direct suggestion of where people
do
	their informal learning.  I am encouraging our libraries to get
learners
	to complete the form listing Public Library under 'other' to make
the
	point that we are a major venue for informal learning.  I hope
others
	might feel encouraged to do the same.  Beware of the very short time

	scale - responses have to be received by 12th June!   The
consultation
	form can be filled in on screen and then printed off for posting.

	Carol Campbell-Hayes
	Operations Manager South
	Derbyshire County Council
	Cultural and Community Services
>   << File: DIUSIALConsultation-FacilitatorVersion.pdf >>

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may also
be legally privileged. They are intended solely for the intended
addressee. If you are not the addressee please e-mail it back to
the sender and then immediately, permanently delete it. Do not
read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on it. This e-
mail may be monitored by Rochdale Council in accordance with
current regulations. This footnote also confirms that this e-mail
message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses
currently known to the Council. However, the recipient is
responsible for virus-checking before opening this message and any
attachment. Unless otherwise stated, any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender and may not necessarily
reflect the views of Rochdale Council.

As a public body, the Council may be required to disclose this
email and/or any response under the Freedom of Information Act
2000 unless the information in the email and/or any response is
covered by one of the exemptions in the Act.