Stevan,

It's a cultural thing :-) . Physicists exchanged pre-prints long before the net and had computerised preprint indexes (not full text) back in the 70s. All currently active physicists have spent all their working lives in a networked world and been totally comfortable in it. So it is not surprising that they took to the precursors of ArXiv and then ArXiv like ducks to water.

An aside: I wonder (just a thought) if the manual indexing is a leftover from those pre-full text days?

In the same way economists had a culture of exchanging working papers before networks. Moving to online just made the process easier.

So it's partly just time and partly how easy it is to map the publishing/communication model of a particular academic group onto a networked world.

Regards,

John Smith.