On 27 Jun 2008, at 14:58, Peter Crowther wrote:

>> From: MacLeod, Roderick A
>> Despite the growth in use of RSS, the vast majority
>> of Internet users still don't take advantage of it (because
>> RSS is still
>> not particularly user-friendly, and many don't grasp the concept or
>> understand what RSS is or what the various RSS icons mean, or
>> what to do with them).
>
> And then there's the group who have tried RSS and given it up as a
> bad job because they get deluged in irrelevant information that they
> don't have time or brainpower to process.  Syndication merely makes
> matters worse, as you're often at the mercy of the syndicating agent
> as to what they include in the feed.  Poor, broad-brush or simply
> nonexistent subject tagging means that panning this for the nuggets
> of gold is a manual task - in which case, why not just go to Google
> and search for what I want, when I want it?

You could have a service that harvested all the content from the
"Latest Items" in all UK repositories, and exposed it to Google as a
normal Website. The content would be refreshed periodically.

Then you could use a Google query like "semantic-web site:latest-
research.ac.uk"

Any user request to download content from that site would redirect to
the host repository  -  only Google would be able to download
documents from it.
--
Les