Apologies for cross-posting:

Call for Papers

The Performances of Power or the Powers of Performance

Loughborough University, 21st - 22nd November 2008

This interdisciplinary workshop will discuss the relations between powers and the performing arts. The panels will explore how performing arts are connected with various modalities of power (political, religious, elites, protest movements, etc.) and which powers are intertwined with or embedded in the performing arts (memory, identities, etc.). Both empirical and theoretical approaches are invited.

The workshop will provide a space for confronting different contexts of the performing arts and inter-connected power relations. These can be seen to be socially and politically constructed, thus differing in specific social and historical contexts. We welcome papers that focus on different ethnic and geographical areas, providing an international arena of comparison. The workshop will explore how the performing arts generate collective identities, feed into national and nationalistic discourses, serve as an instrument of hegemony as well as a means of societal/political protests in different historical and social contexts.

We welcome papers focusing on the performing arts in their widest definition such as theatre, dance, music (from opera to street music) as well as the visual arts. We encourage papers from different disciplines and from both post-graduates and established academics.

Please submit a 300 words abstract by August 1st 2008 to Raffaella Bianchi ([log in to unmask]) stating 'workshop' in the subject heading. Proposals should also include institutional affiliation along with a brief biographical note.

Martha Wörsching
Department of Politics, International Relations and European Studies
Loughborough University,
LOUGHBOROUGH
LE11 3TU/UK
Tel +00 44 (0)1509 222998
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/eu/

Office Hours:
Dissertations: Tuesday from 10-11 am
General: Thursday from 10-11 am

Reviews Editor of the JOURNAL OF CONTEMPORARY EUROPEAN STUDIES
For further information on this journal, please visit the following website:
http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/