Dear FSL experts

I have a question regarding the statistics of multiple group analysis. Right
now, I have three groups, group 1 has the patients with the most severe
state of disease A (grp1), group 2 has the patients with less significant
degree of disease A (grp2) and group 3 are unexposed controls (grp3).  What
is the best statistics if I want to see the differences among the three
groups? i.e., if grp1 and grp2 are significant different from grp3 and if
there is difference between grp1 and grp2.

I am using one-way ANOVA to find out if there is any difference among three
groups and then use multiple comparison to pick out which group is
different. But I was also suggested that two sample t tests between each
group might be a better choice.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Longchuan