Don,

Re MH, the yoga mumbo-jumbo statement was mine, not his. Here as in India, yoga is great exercise. Yet shopping mall spiritualism sounds a bit "inadequate", to say the least. Over there, it serves the obvious function of affirming one's emotive ties to a two-thousand year old tradition. Yet to the extent that you understand this tradition to be an inhibiting factor, it's mumbo-jumbo over there, too.

In a famous AA article entitled “The cultural ecology of India’s cattle”, Harris discussed the intimate relationship between belief and economic behavior. Anyone who knows anything about this man is familiar with this piece. Interestingly enough, much of the academic criticism that Harris received concerned his failure to associate religion (cattle worship) with dis-functionality. Yet as an outsider who probably thinks AA is about substance abuse, you couldn't possibly know about this.

For my part, the Draupadi cult in deep southeast India informs the daily lives of villages in countless ways. It’s a reminder that god is watching, that life on earth is a gift, that agricultural cycles—in particular the monsoon—are her bestowed blessings for virtue and respect for land, for life.

In brief, no one who has either done field work in India or has attempted to describe a living socioeconomic system has failed to acknowledge the influence of Marvin Harris. What is obvious in this regard is that you haven’t done the work requisite to knowing these things.

Feedback and nonlinerarity does not contradict a materialist strategy. And if you ever bother to read Harris, this is what you’ll find that he said.  Of course, established norms, traditions, and mumbo-jumbo to a great extent influence and loop back into our economic lives. Yet if you’re trying to derive fundamental statements about life within a given culture, your best bet is to begin with issues of subsistence.

Every anthropologist knows that; which, by the way, Deleuze (for all his other virtues) wasn’t—and it’s obvious that you’re lacking this formal/conceptual background, as well.  Your failure to provide in-the-field citations show as much.

Harris’ contribution were published, in- the- profession, peer-reviewed demonstrations of which way the causal arrows generally goes, so to speak, and its significance therein. This is not to fully endorse his views by any means; but only to say that your accusation of “simple-mindness” is shameful, to say the least.

Furthermore, my original employ of Harris was as an easy source for outsiders such as yourself to reference what CL-S looked like qua  anthro, at the time that he was writing. Denouncing my suggested source, then, is totally besides the point-- as doing so in no way makes CL-S any more or less valid.

So my challenge remains unanswered: what, precisely do you (or anyone else) find of value in CL-S? Again, my only insight into this issue is admittedly peer-group, within- the- profession driven.  This is to say that I fully endorse transversalities, out- of- the- box explanations, interdisciplinary approaches, whatever. But again, this talking horse must, eventually, have something interesting to say; or else the cross-purpose of which you speak is to become glue and dog-food.

Your perspective on Deleuze is both interesting and doubtlessly correct in a creative sort of way. Mine simply addresses the question on how individualities emerge from a collective.  Deleuze admitted that his je-fele model was in part taken from Bergson, and I find it rather remarkable that this might serve as a model for a theory of cinema.

Be that as it may, perhaps the lack of understanding of the collective as doxa from which individual intellectual accomplishment emerges might in some way be attributed to a confusion of the cinematic with real life? Art emphasizes the unique, but it’s nice to understand from what uniqueness springs.

Oh, by the way, Deleuze absolutely detested CL-S….

Bill