> No one doubts that CL-S was lots of fun for everyone, and Harris was a =
> boring materialist of interest only to those within the profession. =
> Small wonder, then, that one cites philosophers and epistemology in =
> order to justify what to insiders was plain old shoddiness bordering on =
> pomposity and outright quackery ////>As I remember from the sixties and
> seventies, all of this stood as an =>enormous embarrassment to serious
> French anthropologists such as Panof, =>Barreau, Delfendahl, Jaulin,
> Gaudlier, Clastres et al, who had to deal =>with the quotidian idiocies
> of a system which accorded CL-S mandarin =>status. The French obsession
> with binarism dates back to Descartes, and =>what, ostensibly all French
> scientists desired was to be finished once =>and for all with "doing
> great Seventeenth century Science".=20

Hmmm.

Anyone prepared to overcome the embarrassment of being interested in shoddy
old French intellectuals might like to look at the collection of
Levi-Strauss' photographs archived by Scala as part of his centenary this
year:

http://www.scalarchives.com/web/ricerca_risultati.asp?SC_PROV=COLL&IdCollection=79362

Erica Sheen

*