I have an issue with the notion of asking students to paint like famous artists.

Does anyone have any tips or advice on getting students to 'apply' the methods and techniques used by other artists, as opposed to just copying them?

I'm asking because I have just taught a one-day workshop on 'Drawing like Matisse' to adult learners of varying abilities. I just wondered what other teachers' methods might be. Explaining Matisse's use of gesture, line, colour, pattern, mood etc. wasn't really the problem. Getting students to apply these to their own work was tricky. They wanted to create pictures that looked like Matisse's, as opposed to creating their own pictures and applying Matisse's techniques. There is a difference...

(I appreciate that teaching/learning this in one day is a relatively tall order...)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Yvonne