-----Original Message-----
From: The Disability-Research Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alex Lubet
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: who should do the research?

Actually, people change sex/gender all the time.  They can also change
race, although that happens by moving from one location to another,
where race is differently constructed.  For example, a Jew who managed
to escape Nazi Germany became a racially different person.  Another
example is the different way "Indians" are defined in the US and Bolivia
(where I taught briefly).  Even one great-great-great grandparent
qualifies one for tribal registry as an American Indian in the US.  Most
Bolivians would qualify if they lived in the US (were Bolivian "tribes"
registered in the US), but only people thought to be "full-blooded" are
regarded as Indians in that country.

One of the difficulties of "nothing about us without us" is defining
"us."  The women's movement has certainly experienced a great deal of
fragmentation on such lines as ethnicity/race, age, and sexual
orientation.  About twenty years ago in the US (and doubtless
elsewhere), the term "people of color" became prominent.  Lately, it's
being critiqued as reductive and therefore inaccurate.  On this thread
we're seeing a distinction between a larger disability community and
smaller communities grounded in particular constructions of impairment.

--
Alex Lubet, Ph. D.
Morse Alumni/Graduate & Professional Distinguished Teaching Professor