Just my ten cents before heading out of the office this evening: As an
academic researcher with a learning disability, I'm honestly chagrined
with the insular approach to research taken by many in this recent
discussion.  Although I understand Larry's frustration, I also think
that we need to acknowledge that disability is a complex phenomenon that
lends itself to many perspectives.  Although disability studies is built
upon the same theoretical foundations as women's studies and
race/cultural studies, it's important to remember that gender, race, and
culture are more concrete cultural structures than disability.  I know
that I'm opening myself up to all sorts of critiques by saying
this...but I can't become, black, Asian, or even a woman; but I can
become a person with a disability...or I can acquire another disability
beyond the one I already have.  We all can...the experience of being
human is the experience of becoming or fighting against becoming
disabled.  Thus it seems to me that the phenomenon of disability is an
area that should be more open and accepting of a diversity of
perspectives since disability is one of the few shared areas of human
experience that cuts across age, race, gender, class, etc.  Now, I'm not
arguing for the medical model here, although I think that the medical
model, despite it's patriarchal hegemonic view of ability, has added
much to what we currently understand about disability...BUT it needs to
be counterbalanced and, if possible, superseded by a more rational view
of human diversity.

Matt

--
Matthew Wappett Ph.D.
Assistant Professor: Interdisciplinary Training Coordinator

Archives and tools are located at: