In message
<20080602195408.KUGM7054.aamtaout02-winn.ispmail.ntl.com@LANE1>, at
20:51:07 on Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Peter Lane <[log in to unmask]>
writes
>embers of the list may find this article interesting . . .
>
>http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/7430709.stm
>
>Remember : "There is no actual information recorded, only the
>information that we've already got," ( and it's only Monday!!

I saw that, and almost posted something about it myself.

There would be only two possible conclusions (if it's true):

1) The Nursery already had the parents' fingerprints on file
2) The fingerprint reader responds to something tapped out in morse
     code.

But, of course, they do have a pre-scanned print on file. And it's
likely they also record who came and went, and when [2].

This must be part of a PR campaign by someone (maybe the vendor of the
locks?) because a similar story was placed on the East Midlands tv news
yesterday, about a community nursery in Leicester.

9 minutes 30 seconds into "watch East Midlands Today" at:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire

(Only valid until later today).

"If you are not on the system, you can't get in" [1]
"All the comings and goings are recorded on a laptop".

[1] Although it also has a number-pad and hopefully the fire brigade can
get in if necessary.

[2] One risk this system does *not* reduce is one parent absconding with
the child, the very reason why children have to have their own passports
now.
--
Roland Perry