What Kyoto 2 needs to present is a clear plan of how 'it' [they/whoever is involved] is going to: -

  [1] take charge of fossil fuel production globally [!]
  [2] calculate the permitted production to zero globally by 2050
  [3] resolve arguments by and between oil, coal and gas producers on this [!]
  [3] take ownership of the production-permits that arise [!!]
  [5] administrate the auction of these issue
  [6] bank the proceeds [est. by k-2 in the order of "trillions of dollars"] [!!!]
  [7] administrate the re-distribution of these $s in an appropriate manner [!!!!]

  This means that, having persuaded Parties to UNFCCC that: -

  [a] "asymmetric global consumptions are no longer relevant",
  [b] the Treaty [objective and principles] is 'kerplunk'
  [c] the politics of "asymmetric *sub-global* fossil fuel production, will now be brought into line and down by the K-2 Treaty that replaces the UNFCCC.

  In a word, how K-2 is going to make, bake and then brake this pie-in-the-sky. It is a gift to the bad guys [that is the one relevant point in Tony Junioper's Guardian letter] and makes even the dreaded global governance a mere mwah of a first-date-kiss.

  I have tried over nearly three years to engage the author[s] of K-2 on the problems of this. All that I was offered was avoidance with the odd we-love-you, get-well cards.

  True; - time is running out and we do seem to be going over the edge, so for the record, give it your best shot [james Hansen says bulldoze the coal-fired power-stations . . . and he's big in China with this argument] but please stop presenting this K-2 as an 'alternative to', a 'replacement for', an 'improvement on' [etc etc] C&C.

  Maybe I'll debate this when answers to these questions have been at least attempted.

  Aubrey

Oliver Tickell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
      Re the "debate" between C&C and Kyoto2, I would prefer to try to identify points of agreement and build on them.

  It has recently occurred to me that Kyoto2 does in fact propose, precisely, contraction and convergence at effectively zero per capita emissions by mid-century, in order to stabilise at 350ppm CO2eq before (probably) moving down further. As such, we appear to be after the same thing.

  The question then is how to get there. I have proposed Kyoto2 because it is, simply, the best way I can think of to do that.

  Maybe we should try to organise some kind of event at which the benefits and problems of the two approaches can be assessed and explored, and maybe ultimately reconciled?

  Oliver Tickell, www.kyoto2.org/