Evette,

A good machine shop can make a 1 L Amicon-like tirred-cell concentrator quite easily (and many have).  But another alternative is the Pellicon Tangential Flow Filtration Cassettes (see http://www.millipore.com/techpublications/tech1/pb022).  The Pellicon XL 50 cassettes (50 sq. cm) work great for most jobs (bringing 1 L down to ~15 mL).  This size is not too expensive, particularly if you have an extra peristaltic pump around the lab.

The bigger Pellicon 2 Cassettes (0.5 sq. m) are also fantastic for dealing with concentrating proteins secreted into the media; we have taken 16 L down to 400 mL in 45 min.  But the startup cost is high for the basic Pellicon 2 system (http://www.millipore.com/catalogue/module/c558;  ~5K about 8 years ago).  This larger system can also be used for microfiltration, where we have used it to quickly +16 L insect cells down to ~500 mL for the homogenization step.

The downside is that you have to buy an "expensive" cassette for each MWCO and you have to trust your lab mates to keep them clean (as one usually does for FLPC or HPLC columns).  The upside is that they perform a lot better than stirred-cell concentrators with less fouling of the membrane.

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.

Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology

513 Biochemistry Bldg.

Michigan State University

East Lansing, MI 48824-1319

Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125

FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  [log in to unmask]