> - When Rontgen discovered a new kind of light, he called it "x-
> rays".  Now only the Germans call them Rontgen rays.

Thanks for a great essay! Since I have nothing of real value
contribute here, I won't pass over the opportunity to be a
"besserwisser" (as the Swedes say, using a borrowed word...) the
Röntgen moniker has stuck here in northern Europe too: in Swedish:
Röntgenstrålning, in Danish and Norwegian: Røntgenstråling, in Dutch:
Röntgenstraling. Also thanks to Wikipedia, I can inform you that it's
called Röntgengeislun in Icelandic and Röntgensäteily in Finnish.
Eastern Europe seems to have adopted various forms based on "Rentgen",
but I won't pretend I knew that before 5 minutes ago ;-)

Derek