Evette,

A good machine shop can make a 1 L Amicon-like tirred-cell
concentrator quite easily (and many have).  But another alternative
is the Pellicon Tangential Flow Filtration Cassettes (see http://
www.millipore.com/techpublications/tech1/pb022).  The Pellicon XL 50
cassettes (50 sq. cm) work great for most jobs (bringing 1 L down to
~15 mL).  This size is not too expensive, particularly if you have an
extra peristaltic pump around the lab.

The bigger Pellicon 2 Cassettes (0.5 sq. m) are also fantastic for
dealing with concentrating proteins secreted into the media; we have
taken 16 L down to 400 mL in 45 min.  But the startup cost is high
for the basic Pellicon 2 system (http://www.millipore.com/catalogue/
module/c558;  ~5K about 8 years ago).  This larger system can also be
used for microfiltration, where we have used it to quickly +16 L
insect cells down to ~500 mL for the homogenization step.

The downside is that you have to buy an "expensive" cassette for each
MWCO and you have to trust your lab mates to keep them clean (as one
usually does for FLPC or HPLC columns).  The upside is that they
perform a lot better than stirred-cell concentrators with less
fouling of the membrane.

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
513 Biochemistry Bldg.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  [log in to unmask]