Matthew,

You're not going to ruin your column, but you won't get great
performance either.  Elution by pH change is a very common method,
but getting a really linear pH gradient is very hard.  The Mono Q
matrix is a strong anion exchanger, meaning that it is insensitive to
pH changes, i.e., you can't titrate it smoothly with acid or base.
DEAE resins, which are weak anion exchangers, have a nice pH
titration curve and lend themselves better to elution by pH change.
This is the reason chromatofocusing is not a commonly used method,
and its expensive.

Andreas has pointed you in the general direction for
chromatofocusing, but there is a "poor man's" way to do it.  We use
this method a lot, and the key is using a weak ion exchanger (like
DEAE or CM) and a mix of buffers with pKas that span the titration
range you want to exploit.  Remember, you actually want to titrate
the resin with the buffer: as the pH shifts away from the pKa of one
buffer component, it moves into the buffering range of the other.  If
you do it correctly, you get a nice, flatter titration curve from the
resin, which spreads out the release of the proteins.  We have used a
mixture of Tris and Bis-Tris-Propane with a HiTrap-DEAE or Sepharose-
DEAE FF columns.

Hope this helps,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
513 Biochemistry Bldg.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  [log in to unmask]