Hey Matt,

it seems to me that what you're asking for is chromatofocusing.  See the
official GE documentation:
http://www6.gelifesciences.com/aptrix/upp00919.nsf/Content/WD:Chromatofocusin(260949098-R350)

The proprietary buffers are a bit expensive, but as you found out,
they're a bit complicated to make.  I don't know if you'd ruin your Mono
Q with a pH gradient.  If in doubt, buy one of the dedicated Mono P column.

Hope that helps.

Andreas