You could use salts such as LiSO4 for cryo-protection (also amm sulphate
with small crystals has worked to a degree with us, when nothing else
worked, also 1.6-1.7 M amm. sulphate was exchangable to 40% PEG 400 (very
quick), although with not so great results...).

which oil did you try? that would make a lot of difference..

(see also the recent discussion on  LN2/propane etc and how to freeze)

hth,
Tommi

--
Tommi Kajander, Ph.D.