On Tuesday 17 June 2008 09:08:24 am Sampath Natarajan wrote:
> Dear All,
>            I am refining a structure with 2.5A resolution by refmac5. I
> could find the solution by MR using molrep. After fitting the model, I
> refined the structure again with 0.3 weighting term, but the output PDB file
> shows many splits in the residues. So I used 'auto' as a weighting term,
> then I didn't find any splits. At the same time I noticed that figure of
> merits is not increasing after model fitting. But the correlation
> coefficient is more than 80%.  Also while refining with auto weighting term,
> the figure of merit goes down about 25% than previous.
>
>           Finally I find that some of the residues show high B factor. Could
> anyone give suggestions to reduce the B-factor?

It is worth remembering that B is a measure of the uncertainty in the atomic
position.  So one generic answer is that to reduce B you need to be more
certain about where your atoms are :-)

If/when your model correctly describes the mean position for each atom,
then B can be interpreting as representing 'motion' or more properly
speaking displacement about that mean position.

But if your atoms are not in the right place, then their high B factors are
simply telling you that the calculated X-ray density doesn't support your
current model.  So following automated MR, high B factors are best
viewed as a hint as to where your model needs to be rebuilt.