On a general note, it is not unusual at all for a random mutation (i.e.,
one not in the active or regulatory site of an enzyme, and not
significantly connected with the catalytic or regulatory mechanism) to
affect the rate constant of an enzyme-catalyzed reaction (kcat or
kcat/Km) by a factor of 2 or more. Most enzyme kineticists don't get too
excited about assigning an important role to a mutated residue unless
one of the rate constants changes by a factor of 10. One danger in
interpreting mutagenesis experiments is doing only a single kinetics
measurement at a fixed pH and/or substrate concentration. If the
mutation affects the pKa of enzyme catalytic groups or the effective Km
of the substrate, a difference in rate will be noted, even though the
fundamental rate constants kcat or kcat/Km, or their pH-independent
maximal values, may not have significantly changed. Just my $0.02.

Roger S. Rowlett
Professor
Colgate University Presidential Scholar
Department of Chemistry