I would like to point out that flash-cooling in liquid propane has the
added complication that the liquid propane can have a range of temperature
and still be liquid.  If you use propane you may not know which
temperature you are actually using.  The temperature in the exposed layer
of the propane will be warmer (could be 231 K) than the bottom layer
unless you stir the propane.  Luger's group has published their work on
flash-cooling in propane.  [Raji, who posts here often must be away from
the internet :) ] See Edayathumangalam and Luger (2005) Acta Cryst D 51,
891-898.

As an alternative to propane and ethane, one might consider carbon
tetrafluoride instead.  It is a liquid between about 88 K and 145 K, so
not quite the range of propane, but if you see liquid, you know you are
are below 145 K.  And it's non-flammable.  Note that the CRC has the wrong
boiling point for this cryogenic gas which I believe is why CF4 is not
used as much.

For more tips on cryo-cooling, see also the PDF linked at
http://www.rigaku.com/cryo/ and the references therein.

Jim