Re: Whatever happened toDear Peter, Mairead, Ian, Tim and all

Of course, you're all right! Mairead makes excellent points about the proliferation of real acivity in the US. Even in the UK money is going into 'live literature' and 'performance poetry,' which I applaud. However, the small ground for more experimental poetry in the UK, it seems to me, has been shortened.

I'd argue that those working in 'edge' poetry have largely turned to art and film in the UK (my subscription to the Artists' Newsletter - AN - is far more important to me than my subscription to the National Poetry Society). I think this is because the visual arts scene (including film) in the UK maintains a contradictory take on art through the art school system where notions of conceptualism versus craftsmanship are played out on a daily basis. This would be exciting if the intellectual debate between conceptualism and craftsmanship was also played out on a daily basis. It isn't.

Viewing masses of students' work via the arts factory, Norwich, the tedium of in-jokes, the immediate, the slight, the strand of a tradition purveyed by a tutor, means the work falls to pieces too quickly. I see myself looking at FaceBook - not online but in the work.

I'm sure you all have a FaceBook page like I but it is utterly the opposite of what it pretends to be: for 'friends' it is a competition to gather more & more friends as points in a tiny & impossible celeb competition; and for the FaceBook company it is the means to sell on the details of participants.

I argue that a subscribers' list like this List have never been more important. If we feel that the internet has to be a real international tool for artists and poets, what is or has been a tool? Blogs certainly, YouTube probably. MySpace and FaceBook just atomize human beings - make them falsely compete.

Yes, there can be an exchange of information via these interfaces but there is no discussion and  no debate! And if you've looked at 'poetry' on MySpace, no poetry.

I'm glad I had a 'shout.' David Swords wrote a poem here - and I got a strand going!

Love, Rupert

www.mallin.blogspot.com