mandrake wrote:
> David and Jasmine
>
> Yes very interesting distinction -
> and one that is noted by practitioner historians of witchcraft - I'm
> thinking of the "cunning man" Jack Daw for example -
> who often points out the importance of "solomonic" grimoires to
> eighteenth century witchcraft.
> Maybe there is still work to be done on the Saxon and Germano-Celtic
> stuff - which is also prone to "political" bias of one sort or another.

Oh very much so.  The Nazi branches of Asatru anyone...
> Interesting though - that RH "debunks" the neo-pagan view that
> churches were built on pre-existing pagan sites
> (as indeed they were in the classical world) - whereas for example
> practitioner/scholar Jan Fries talks about the ephemeral nature
> of Germano/Celtic pagans sites that may not
> show up in the archeaological record.
> So sometimes neopagan "foundation myths" are not so stupid.

I don't think stupidity is the issue just different modes of
interpretation and a sense that archetypes and empirical history may be
related but are not the same thing.  I would just argue that we need to
be aware of both and not try to confuse the basis by which we are making
truth claims.  Its funny though the churches built on sacred sites
mythology is one of the few areas where I am respectfully skeptical of
RH on.   This of course is more an issue of local history of a specific
church that really isn't served by global analysis but I have seen
enough of them with quantifiable evidence and I found the Jan Fries
article rather persuasive particularly given the location of many Saxon
Churches on natural meeting places when you look at the town layout from
the period that can be studied, at least in East Anglia where I've had
the chance to do some more detailed examination.   Though  I would
reiterate the only way to deal with it would be on a local history level
rather than broad generalizations of churches across the whole of Europe.

Cheers
David