Herbert Hoover famously promised Americans "A chicken in every pot and
a car in every garage". When I was in the UK last year I saw on the
television (probably something like a UKTV-History show) a British
politician, probably Labour, of the post-World War II era promise
something quite similar (maybe "a motorcar in every garage") about the
same time the NHS was being deployed. I am thinking this was Herbert
Morrison or Ernest Blevin or William Beveridge, but I cannot find the
source. Does anyone more familiar with 20th century British politics
and history than I have a clue as to what I am talking about? Any help
on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-- David

David Levinson
RP Braun CTS Chair in Transportation Engineering
University of Minnesota
Department of Civil Engineering
500 Pillsbury Drive SE
Minneapolis MN 55455 USA