Dear Jiang:

The SPM5 unified segmentation spontaneously warp the subject to ICBM
template, hence it is kind of warping GM with GM template, WM with WM
template, CSF with CSF template. And John said it should be more
accuracate, as it is closer to the practice of optimized VBM.
If you normlaize your functional images with a EPI images, it will be
based on mean square differences. Hence the penalty of mis-matching will
be different. However, better normalization with the *_seg_sn.mat is
based on the assumption that you good co-registration of your fMRI with
structural MRI. If your EPI has strong distortion due to whatever
reason, the normalization may not work that well as the parameters are
calculated from the normalization of the structural MRI.

Best,
Carlton