Hi Vidya:

You can just open one the u_*.nii as a nifti image using SPM or
MRICron/MRICro, or other software, however, each flow field is actually
saved as a 5D image. Actually, there are 3 flow fields scalar image
images (it is a vector field) saved in one u_*.nii file. But because the
way John create the flow field (he said he didn't expect people would
like to visualize the flowfield anyway), you can only see one of the
flow field, I think it shows the flow in X direction only. However, you
can still access the other 2 images manually.

If you load any flow field in SPM say,
 p=spm_select(inf,'image');
 N=nifti(p)
N=
NIFTI object: 1-by-1
            dat: [5-D file_array]
            mat: [4x4 double]
     mat_intent: 'Aligned'
           mat0: [4x4 double]
    mat0_intent: 'Aligned'
        descrip: 'Flow Field'

N.dat

        fname: [1x85 char]
          dim: [121 145 121 1 3]
        dtype: 'FLOAT32-LE'
       offset: 352
    scl_slope: 1
    scl_inter: 0

By changing the N.datl.dim field, you would be able to access the 3
images via MRICro or SPM now
N.dat.dim=[[121 145 121  3],

To access the other 2 images, when the SPM select file window pop up,
change the number in the Edit Field right next to "Filt" button. By
modifying the number into 2 or 3, you can access the other images.
Just remember to set the filter to ^u.*nii first, as SPM will try to
read all the header, and it takes a while. By setting the filter option,
it will reduce the headers which are required to be read.

Best,
Carlton