Dear List Moderator,

Attached please find a conference announcement. If you think it will be
of an interest to subscribers of your mailing-list, would you be so kind
as to forward the announcement to your list.

If it does not match the subject matters of Your list we are sorry for taking your time.

We would also love to have some short note from you if you decide to forward
the announcement so we will get some kind of picture how widely the
announcement has been delivered. It would be interesting to know how
many subscribers you have, too.

Thank You very much in advance!

Yours sincerely,

Marko Valo
Internet Consultant

Power: Forms, Dynamics and Consequences
An International conference
Tampere, Finland.
September 22-24, 2008

Call for papers

What is power and who has power today? Has power escaped from nation-states to international organizations and the global market? Does power reside in big institutions or is it rooted in micro level interaction? How does power hide from view and therefore become most effective? For social scientists power is in many ways like what St. Augustine said about time: it is central to our investigations and we think we know what it is, but it is hard to explain. By bringing together scholars who approach power from different angles this conference will advance our understanding about power relations in social reality.

Keynote speakers will include:
  • Mitchell Dean
  • Robert Dingwall
  • Mark Haugaard
  • Tuula Juvonen
  • Randy Lippert
  • Lois McNay
  • Leslie Pal
  • Pekka Sulkunen
Sessions:
  • ANTing the Analytics of Power - powering ANT
  • Arbitrary Power
  • Care, Agency and Power
  • Child Policy Meets Children as Political Agents
  • Children and Power
  • Ecologies of Power and Resistance in Cognitive Capitalism
  • Envisioning Technology: Power and Practice
  • Gender, Ethnicity and Everyday Citizenship Practices
  • Globalization and New Forms of Control and the Mobilization of Powerless
  • Governmentality and Global Governance
  • Images & Power: Visual Communication and the Public Sphere in Late Modern Societies
  • Immigration and Governmentality
  • Pension Power and Pension Fund Governance
  • Political Power
  • Power and Signification
  • Power and Space
  • Power Asymmetries
  • Queer Powers
  • Representations of Capitalism and Identity
  • Rethinking the State
  • Social and Vital Norms – Canguilhem Revisited
  • The Power of Male Dominance

If you would like to present a paper, please send an abstract by May 31, 2008.  To get more information about the conference and session details, please visit our web pages at
http://www.uta.fi/Power2008/ or contact the organisers by email: [log in to unmask]