 *Power: Forms, Dynamics and Consequences
An International conference
Tampere, Finland.
September 22-24, 2008*
Call for papers

What is power and who has power today? Has power escaped
from nation-states
to international organizations and the global market? Does
power reside in
big institutions or is it rooted in micro level interaction?
How does power
hide from view and therefore become most effective? For
social scientists
power is in many ways like what St. Augustine said about
time: it is centra=
to our investigations and we think we know what it is, but
it is hard to
explain. By bringing together scholars who approach power
from different
angles this conference will advance our understanding about
power relations
in social reality.
*Keynote speakers will include:*

   - Mitchell Dean
   - Robert Dingwall
   - Mark Haugaard
   - Tuula Juvonen
   - Randy Lippert
   - Lois McNay
   - Leslie Pal
   - Pekka Sulkunen

*Sessions:*

   - ANTing the Analytics of Power - powering ANT
   - Arbitrary Power
   - Care, Agency and Power
   - Child Policy Meets Children as Political Agents
   - Children and Power
   - Ecologies of Power and Resistance in Cognitive
Capitalism
   - Envisioning Technology: Power and Practice
   - Gender, Ethnicity and Everyday Citizenship Practices
   - Globalization and New Forms of Control and the
Mobilization of
   Powerless
   - Governmentality and Global Governance
   - Images & Power: Visual Communication and the Public
Sphere in Late
   Modern Societies
   - Immigration and Governmentality
   - Pension Power and Pension Fund Governance
   - Political Power
   - Power and Signification
   - Power and Space
   - Power Asymmetries
   - Queer Powers
   - Representations of Capitalism and Identity
   - Rethinking the State
   - Social and Vital Norms =96 Canguilhem Revisited
   - The Power of Male Dominance

If you would like to present a paper, please send an
abstract by May 31,
2008.  To get more information about the conference and
session details,
please visit our web pages at http://www.uta.fi/Power2008/
or contact the
organisers by email: [log in to unmask]